District 64 honours individual members each year for their service to members, clubs and the District. These awards are presented annually and the nomination deadline is in April annually, with the exception of the Toastmaster of the Year with a nomination deadline of June 30th annually.
- Allan Shaw Memorial Award - mentoring
- Eric Stuhlmueller Memorial Award - District leadership
- George Craigie Memorial Award - club-level work
- Jack Gillespie Builder's Award - membership and club building
- Les Staats Award - dedication to Toastmasters
- KW Pin - 10 years+ continuous membership in multiple clubs
- Toastmaster of the Year - outstanding service and participation
Allan Shaw Memorial Award
This award for mentoring recognizes individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to and an excellence in mentoring fellow Toastmasters. The award committee is comprised of the President of Allan's home club (Skyliners #831) and the 6 Division Governors. It is presented annually at the Spring Convention and is based on the following criteria:
- The individual's diligent work to provide and support the orientation of new members through the explanation of meeting roles and other fundamentals of the Toastmasters program.
- The individual's assistance and encouragement to new members in the development of their first few manual speeches.
- The individual's demonstrated efforts to encourage new members to serve on club committees, seek club officer positions during elections, or participate in other leadership activities within the club.
- The individual's support and inspiration of new members to participate in the many opportunities that exist beyond club borders within the Toastmasters organization.
- The individual's ongoing commitment to providing the support and encouragement to the activities, pursuits and challenges of his/her fellow Toastmasters that best symbolizes the work of Allan Shaw.
2015 - 2016 Liz Jonasson
2014 - 2015 Irene Toews
2013 - 2014 Debb Solvason
2012 - 2013 Dallas Bagby
2011 - 2012 Hilda Vandenbyllaardt
2010 - 2011 Brian Stimpson
2009 - 2010 Sharon Golin
2008 - 2009 Beverly Wood
2007 - 2008 Eveline Beriault
2006 - 2007 Norma Spence
2005 - 2006 Thecla Athayde
2004 - 2005 Diane Boulay
2003 - 2004 Tannis Gordon
2002 - 2003 Bev Doern
2001 - 2002 Don Eppler
2000 - 2001 Richard McCallum
1999 - 2000 Rudi Peters
1998 - 1999 Elaine Stewart
1997 - 1998 Jules Legal
Eric Stuhlmueller Memorial Award
This award was established by District 64 Toastmasters to recognize individuals who have demonstrated outstanding, dedicated and inspirational leadership at the District level over many years. The award is presented annually at the Spring Convention and is based on the following criteria:
- The individual's continuous membership in good standing in the Toastmasters organization.
- The individual's demonstrated effectiveness as a public speaker and communicator at Toastmasters events.
- The individual's commitment to develop and encourage other Toastmasters to strive to become leaders.
- The individual's attainment or working toward the Distinguished Toastmaster Designation.
- The individual's commitment and dedication to the highest ideals and principles of the Toastmasters organization.
- The individual's inspiration of others to carry out Eric Stuhlmueller's theme as International President to "Belong, Participate and Succeed".
2015 - 2016 Catriona Younger
2014 - 2015 Scott Winning
2013 - 2014 Heidi McIlwain
2012 - 2013 Rachel Elders
2011 - 2012 Dorian Guerard
2010 - 2011 James Tepper
2009 - 2010 Dallas Bagby
2008 - 2009 Marian Kremers
2007 - 2008 Donald Willcox
2006 - 2007 Joanne McDowall
2005 - 2006 Harry Hobbs
2004 - 2005 Bev Phillips
2003 - 2004 Robert McDowall
2002 - 2003 Bill Gordon
2001 - 2002 Ken Perrett
2000 - 2001 Val Brown
1999 - 2000 Sherri Wood
1998 - 1999 Mel Nott
1997 - 1998 Bert Angus
1996 - 1997 Don Dunand
1995 - 1996 Richard McCallum
1994 - 1995 Al Shaw
1993 - 1994 Barbara Main
1992 - 1993 Joe Masi
1991 - 1992 Gordon McIlroy & Arnold Michelson
1990 - 1991 Shelley Walker
1989 - 1990 Wayne Sweeney
1988 - 1989 Jack Gillespie
1987 - 1988 Fred Bieber
George Craigie Memorial Award
Recognizing members who don't normally enjoy recognition, but whose contributions have focused on their home club, through the encouragement of membership growth and retention, while continuing to contribute to the District wherever possible. The award is presented annually at the Spring Convention and is based on the following criteria:
- The individual's efforts to encourage and/or sponsor new members in his or her own club.
- The individual's regular attendance and participation in club meetings.
- The individual's participation in club programs such as Speechcraft and Youth Leadership which fosters healthy membership growth, participation in the Success/Leadership modules which encourages member retention through opportunities to learn.
- The individual's long-standing service to his or her home club.
2015 - 2016 Ardythe Basham
2014 - 2015 Tara Pearce
2013 - 2014 Carol Runions
2012 - 2013 Tatyana Chshyolkova
2011 - 2012 Gerald Allen
2010 - 2011 Ivy Fraser
2009 - 2010 Mary Jambor
2008 - 2009 Liz Jonasson
2007 - 2008 Joan Gordon
2006 - 2007 Gerald Dyck
2005 - 2006 Alfred Kerperin
2004 - 2005 Mary McKee
2003 - 2004 Lucille Mahon
2002 - 2003 Del Duffield
2001 - 2002 Rob Duncan
2000 - 2001 Don Schau
1999 - 2000 Arnold Mikelson
1998 - 1999 Fred Stock
1997 - 1998 Don Fontaine
1996 - 1997 Don Eppler
1995 - 1996 Jules Legal
1994 - 1995 Donna Sillery
1993 - 1994 Pat McFadzean
1992 - 1993 Les Staats
1991 - 1992 Jennet Pidgeon
Jack Gillespie Builder's Award
The establishment of the Jack Gillespie Builder's Award was announced at the District Council meeting held on November 11, 2000, following a recommendation of the Past District Governor's Circle. Jack Gillespie served as District 64 Governor in 1982-83 and International President in 1992-93. Jack is still quite actively involved in his clubs and district.
The Jack Gillespie Builder's Award will recognize an individual member in District 64 who excels at membership and/or club building. The award will be presented annually to a Toastmaster who best meets or exceeds the following criteria:
- Participation as a new club sponsor or mentor; or club specialist for a club with nine or fewer members;
- Sponsoring 5 new members (as reported to WHQ);
- Opportunities to sponsor/mentor a club or gain new members may be more of a challenge in some rural clubs, so members in rural areas will be eligible to compete for the award if the member sponsors 3 new members; and has a net growth of 5 new members in their home club.
2015 - 2016 Ryan Sturgeon
2014 - 2015 Bonnie Taylor
2013 - 2014 Hilda Vandenbyllaardt
2012 - 2013 Tannis Gordon and Laurette Greenlay
2011 - 2012 Sherri Wood
2010 - 2011 John Sigurdson
2009 - 2010 Mary McKee
2008 - 2009 Ralph & Barb Bell
2007 - 2008 Lionel & Dorian Guerard
2006 - 2007 Dianne Boulay
2005 - 2006 Dallas Bagby
2004 - 2005 Nestor Krawec
2003 - 2004 Lucille Michaud-Kariam
2002 - 2003 Delilah Buchart
2001 - 2002 Kenora Club
2000 - 2001 Maria Kaskiw
Les Staats Award for Dedication to Toastmasters
The Les Staats Award for Dedication to Toastmasters is an award instigated in 2009 by the Winnipeg Toastmasters Club in recognition of the excellent example of Toastmasters skills in action. The Les Staats Award will be presented to any member of the Toastmasters Organization who exhibits the following attributes:
- Has shown a long-term commitment to Toastmasters by attending meetings regularly and fulfilling various club roles as assigned.
- Shows a desire to complete communication manuals, by preparing speeches to move forward with educational goals.
- Shows an enthusiasm about speaking, and a commitment to personal growth. Presents at meetings with professionalism and respect.
- Is dedicated to the club. Shows commitment by remaining a member.
- Offers guidance to new members.
- Understands the importance of training events and District events and attends these functions.
- Shows guests and newcomers an attitude of hospitality.
- Willing to take risks and stretch him/herself to a new level.
- Demonstrates the impact of Toastmasters on his/her life, outside of the club.
- Embodies the core values of Toastmasters: integrity, dedication to excellence, service to the member and respect for the individual.
Download the Les Staats Award nomination form (PDF)
2014 - 2015 Nancy Klienman
2013 - 2014 Sharon Golin
2012 - 2013 Mary McKee
2011 - 2012 John Hindle
2010 - 2011 Emma Frost
2009 - 2010 Alfed Kerperin
2008 - 2009 John Melnick
KW Pin Award
The KW Pin award recognizes members who have 10 or more years of continuous membership in more than one club.
Download the KW Pin Award application form (PDF)
Toastmaster of the Year
This award is presented at the Fall Conference and recognizes a member with outstanding contributions to their club and District as well as participation in the educational programs of Toastmasters. Annual deadline is June 30th.
Download the Toastmaster of the Year nomination form (PDF)